Siciliy 75th anniversary

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Siciliy 75th anniversary

Post  Brian Perkins on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:13 pm

Any interest in looking at a 2nd Armd to Sicily for the 75th anniversary? Apparently they did something for the 70th - I've asked Corso to look into it for us.
Brian Perkins

Back to top Go down

Italy - open issues

Post  kilroy on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:45 am

Hi Brian, since you posted this here, I might as well use the thread to give people a lowdown on how things stand as for possible trips to Italy. I had been discussing this with John Hayworth in the past.

THE MAIN PROBLEMS

To make a trip feasible, it is necessary to make it part of a joint effort with the main Italian organizers of such events (the GoticaToscana association based in Tuscany, of which I am a member).

I have found it extremely difficult to get the association’s OK to such an effort. The main reason is they don't like the idea of renouncing our yearly big event in favor of the trip, so the trip would have to be organized in connection to the event (which is a typical MVT-type event with no attention to accurate reenacting etc.).

This in practice entails doubling the organizational effort involved, as no matter how “close” you try to keep the two legs (the Italian column and the 2ndAE trip) you would have to organize for separate campsites, partly separate routes, partly separate schedules etc. , and the administrative / political red tape to get through for these matters is of unbelievable proportions here in Italy.

The other main problem is lack of money. Meaning, funding provided by local governments etc. This is obviously a necessity if you want to keep your cost manageable, and over the last few years such venues of money have almost disappeared because of the economic situation in Italy. This in turn makes it even more difficult to get the Italian association’s support, as besides the organizational encumberance  they would also have to split up the meager available public funding.

THE PROSPECTS

All that said, I have already been exploring what could be done if I succeed in getting the necessary local support. In the perspective of the 2ndAE rule of “where and when”, coupled to considerations of practical feasibility also based on what I said before, there are substantially three options:

Sicily in July 2018 as 2nd AD;

Tuscany in June 2019 (or any other year) as 1st AD

Northern Apennines and / or Po Valley in April 2020 as 1st AD

In terms of feasibility, Tuscany comes first, Sicily last. Sicily is very far from our bases of operations (we are based in central Italy) and when we organized the Sicilian event in 2013 it was a hell of a job which entailed a lot of flying there and back, etc. Also, the place is not easy to move in. The 2013 event was possible only because we had a lot of local support, both at the official and unofficial level which also guaranteed the needed money. These are circumstances difficult to get going again.

The Northern Apennines / Po Valley event comes second in terms of feasibility. It is organizationally much easier, it comes with the official Italian WWII Liberation celebrations on April 25, the places are easier to deal with, etc.

Tuscany in my opinion however would be the easiest to do, in the sense that the area I am thinking about (between Grosseto and Volterra)  has never been covered by a big HMV event, has several points of attractions in it (e.g., an Air Force base etc.) and the dates – in late June - are not coincident with the official national Liberation celebrations. These points may help me convince the association it would be worthwhile to try and get a different type of event going, maybe in a “odd” year (no 75th etc.).

To sum it up: at present, I see chances of a 2ndAE event in Italy as pretty slim, but I keep working on the idea. Sicily might really get into the picture only if we get a new interest in the island connected to the 75th for a HMV event etc. there, in which case it might prove possible to add a 2nd AE “tail” to it.

I’ll keep working on the project anyway.
kilroy

Back to top Go down

Re: Siciliy 75th anniversary

Post  kilroy on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:54 am

Just a quick update.

We have begun trying to get the necessary funding for something to take place in Sicily, July 2018. In this framework I have launched the proposal to get some sort of "sideshow" event (to the main "typical" lazy HMV event) involving the 2AE. All is still very cloudy at present. I'll keep you all updated if anything materialize.
kilroy

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian Perkins on Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:55 pm

Well done that man
Brian Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top